TOPIC: Causes of building collapse

Causes of building collapse 3 years 2 months ago #217

• Soldier
1. Hiring Quacks...Ive seen many folks here, claiming to be professionals, dishing out quotes thinking that is all it entails. Building is serious. You think those bungalows you are designing qualifies you as a professional? Wait...can bungalows collapse?

2. Managing materials: When building any high rising structure, don't manage. Use the right amount of materials, and please, use quality.

3. Understanding reinforcement/foundation: you need to know that there is a world of difference between pile, pad, raft foundations, and a 3 inches concrete foundation used for bungalows. An excellent structure wont sit on a faulty foundation.

4. Use the right steel: last year, I saw a story building, sitting on pillars and beams which are casted with 12mm steel. The owner, is planning to raise it higher: one more floor. I told if it doesn't collapse, I would pay him 100k when he's thru. A week later, when the 2nd decking wood work was been done, the whole thing came down. I didn't lose my 100k! There is a big difference between 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 16mm, 20mm, and 100mm. The professionals know.

5. Using the right Concrete mix ratio when doing your reinforcement: A bag of cement has a particular qty of granite and stone you could mix it when when doing a raft. The mixture is different when doing a pile, different when doing hollow-core, different when building a bungalow....different when doing a decking or beam, or pillar. Know the right mix. I wont tell you, hire me!

6. Siting the soak-away close to the foundation: there is a reason its called shyt! Its horrible, and if your foundations are close to the pit or soak-away, your house MUST collapse. Why: its a simple math: iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide FeO(OH)·Fe(OH)3. The engineers understand me. The layman can google: iron oxidization.

7. Failure to follow the books: if you fail to adhere to recommended and approved plans and specifications, you may not get away with it. When building, follow the books. Don't seek quick fix or shortcuts. It always backfire.

8. Understanding Loads/Weights: from engineering perspective, buildings, like all structures, are designed to support certain loads without deforming excessively. The loads are the weights of people, wind, furniture, rain and other objects occupying the structure referred to as live loads, and the weight of the building itself, also referred to as dead loads. Can a layman consider this when trying to build using 'experience'? Nigerians!

9. Poor Structural design and building plan: some plans look excellent on the paper, and your engineer might be afraid to tell how about implementing it might backfire. You need to plan everything buttons up, and top-down.

10. Excessive alternation: don't change the plan too much during construction process. 'I want the bedroom bigger. No the kitchen should be here, not there. Can this foundation take one more floor?' Greed has its uses, but often deadly.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds

© 2014.  Powered by Dot1Q Solutions & Services